Tavira Municipal Library
- Tavira is one of the cities in the Algarve with a strong tradition, with a built past distinctively marked by the presence of the Ria Formosa. It is within this context of strong urban identity that the Tavira Library has been set up. Installed in the former civil prison of Tavira, it proposes the construction of a new building around the existing one, thereby constructing a volume contained within the boundaries of the two streets and the plot. In the centre of this volume, after removing the interior of the former prison, a central patio has been created with the existing façade as a boundary. This serves as an axle around which the public spaces of the library are distributed, lighting them up and promoting their continuity to the outside. According to Carrilho da Graça, it is an interesting solution in the way that it maintains pre-existing items and relates to them: it is indispensable to pay overall attention to the spaces and the buildings, to their spirit and their matter. Preserve and restore to the utmost, with all due respect for what is loved (...).
- João Luís Carrilho da Graça
Rua da Comunidade Lusíada, nº 21
- http://www.cm-tavira.pt/site/content/camara-bib... http://www.cm-tavira.pt/cmt2/index.php?module=C...
- + 351 281 320 585 576
- Tuesday to Friday: 10h00 - 19h00 Monday and Saturday: 14h00 - 19h30
- 37º 07.343' N , 7º 38.870' W
photography: Maria Timóteo